Monday, June 30, 2014

DIYish Wedding Garter Set



Up until the meeting the the DJ three weeks before the wedding, I had completely- COMPLETELY- forgotten about getting a garter.  Back in the beginning stages of wedding stuff, it had crossed my mind that maybe I could order something cute and custom from etsy.  But out of my brain went that thought, and by the time the DJ uttered the words "bouquet and garter toss" and my eyes got as big as saucers- there wasn't enough time.  After a slight case of the "oh crap"s, I decided to go the cheap/easy/DIYish route.

These garters came as a two pack from Michael's.  I didn't take a before photo, but I've got a stock photo for reference, and since you can't see the details I will describe it for you- they were plain white silk with tulle-ish bows and a small white silk flower with rhinestone center.
As you can see, kind of boring for my taste.  I knew I wanted two garters, and I knew I wanted some purple involved.  I cut off the bow and white flower, and attached some things that I already had laying around.  On the larger garter, the one that I kept, I glued some leftover silk/lace flowers from the DIY card box I made.  I also added some darker purple store bought flowers (also from Michael's) to tie in with the toss garter.  I reattached the tulle bows (after re-tying them, those bows were not the cutest I've ever seen straight out of the package) and voila!  They had a DIY touch, they matched other elements of the wedding and each other, and they took less than 15 minutes to complete.


I thought about adding some dangley charms or something, but I kind of had this "nobody is EVER going to notice this anyway" attitude about it, so I didn't bother.  It's fine though- I love it, and I have plans to display it so that it won't go unnoticed and unappreciated forever.

Materials List:
Pack of garters from Michael's (with 50% off coupon)- somewhere around 8 dollars
Homemade flowers: free with supplies on hand
Rhinestone purple flowers: ~$1.50 at Michael's with coupon
Hot Glue Gun
Seam ripper/scissors

Total Cost: Less than $10 and less than 15 minutes of your life
Which is pretty fitting for something nobody sees and is only the center of attention for 5 minutes


Wedding photographs by Melissa Barrick.

No comments:

Post a Comment