Monday, June 16, 2014

Adulting: A Dining Room Table for Christmas

We bought our kitchen table from Fred Meyer in Portland for like 150 dollars about four years ago.  We brought it to Maryland from Oregon, and plopped it right in the dining room, where it looked like this:


This is the only photo I could find of the dining room with the old table, because I really did not like this table and never pointed the camera at it.  Notice all the water spots and just general ickyness.  It's a great table!  It just... needed an upgrade.  And there were only ever two chairs there- one was broken and is That Chair (the one that only exists to collect miscellaneous objects and clothes) in the office, and the other is being used in my craft room.  So we needed upgrades all around.  I wanted a grown-up table, preferably one that had a leaf and was nice and sturdy and... well, grown-up.  I finally found one I liked, and my parents gifted it to me for Christmas.  That's how you know you're finally an adult.  When you're excited to get a table for Christmas.  

So we had the table, but no chairs.  And my turn to host book club was in the spring- so we ended up finally finding chairs and purchasing them for book club.  And I have to say, I love this table now.  It came from World Market, and it has not one, but TWO leaf inserts.  It gets huge!  And it gets tiny.  It goes from a 4 person table to a 6 person table to a 10 person table.  The chairs and bench came from Target, and they feel super sturdy, and are cushy, and they weigh next to nothing.  





The above is what the table looks like with no leaf.  Below is with both leaves in.  We ended up liking the size with only one leaf, so that's how we have left it.  A happy medium!  




One leaf, and how it is for every day.  We were set up for fondue with my brother and his at-the-time-fiancee.  



Anyway, I love this table.  It's sturdy and rustic without looking out of place.  I also really love the bench.  We keep it on the living room side of the table so that we can easily pull it into the social space if we need more seating.  An excellent upgrade, I think!  We did have to have the table replaced once, because it showed up with a giant chunk missing from the surface.  This table had a chip on the edge, but I was able to fix it with some wood glaze stuff that I happened to have handy.  It might be better to buy something like this in person from the store, rather than have it shipped- the closet World Market is a few hours away from our home, though, and once I saw the double leaves, I had to have this one.  It all worked out in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment