Thursday, August 8, 2013

Our Wedding Day: Personailty in the Details

Everything I do is personal.  I try to fill my home with items of meaning.  I spend time on DIY and craft projects when I could easily just buy a similar item in the store- not only because I'm cheap frugal on a budget, but because I live for that personal touch.  Weddings, by definition, are personal.  Planning mine was one of my favorite things- it was all about Scott and I as individuals and as a couple.  Everything was chosen with a purpose.  I'd like to share some of the details, and the stories behind them.

My jewelry.  This was my something Old, New, Borrowed and Blue.  The pearl necklace strand was given to me by Scott on our first Valentine's day in 2009.  It was my something old.  New and Blue were both covered by the earrings- a gift from Scott a few days before our wedding and worn for the first time on the day.  The bracelet was Borrowed from my mom and is a funny story in itself- I had asked my mom if she had either a pearl or diamond bracelet that I could borrow.  She responded with, "no, but your dad can buy me one for you to borrow."  I thought she was kidding.  Until she showed up a few days later and asked if I was ready to go shopping. 

My hair piece.  I wanted to replace my veil with something sparkly and beautiful.  My parents and I sat one night and looked at dozens before we found this one- perfect.  Rhinestones to match my (many) earrings, pears to match my jewelry.  I knew I wanted flowers, and they look like cherry blossoms to me- something that I love so much I have it tattooed on my body.  Perfect.

This photo means a lot to me.  My mom, fastening my necklace.  On her hand, you can see the ring my dad gave her on their anniversary.  On her wrist is a bracelet worn by her mom, my grandmother, as a young woman.  It was given to my grandmother by her father on her 16th birthday.  Notice that it also has pearls- we liked that it drew a parallel between my mom, my grandmother, and me.

Scott's cufflinks.  A gift from my to him on the morning of our wedding.  We are gamers!  I wanted something to represent that without being terribly overt and/or tacky.  I found these cufflinks and bought them right away. 

The charms on my flowers.  Every year I try to go to the Maryland Rennaissance Festival.  When I am able to attend, I always seek out the coin folks.  I've done this for years and have quite the collection.  I can look at the designs I chose that year, and know exactly where I was in my life.  The one with the dolphin on one side and wolf on the other- definitely right around 5th grade.  The summer prior to the wedding, I went with Scott to the ren fest and bought this coin, knowing I would want it attached to my bouquet.  On one side, an X, our new shared initial.  On the other, a Knight in Shining Armor- tongue in cheek and self explanatory, I think.  I also had the florist attach a flamingo charm.  I love flamingos and have amassed quite the collection of flamingo related items.  This charm was a gift from my grandparents.     

The boys wore chucks for the whole event.  I switched into mine after the first dance and wore them for the rest of the reception.  While our groomsmen wore regular grey chucks with purple laces, Scott and I had our wedding date embroidered down the back. 

So there you have it.  A glance into a few of my favorite details from our wedding day.  Subtle things, I think, that our guests might not have noticed.  But that's okay.  I look through the photos and I see these things and they bring a smile to my face. 

Please note that all photos were taken by our wonderful photographer, Melissa, over at MB Photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment