Wednesday, June 12, 2013

DIY Kitchen Art- Julia Child



A while ago I came across this quote by Julia Child and I loved it.  Kind of quirky, kind of tongue-in-cheek, perfect for the kitchen.  I filed it in the back of my brain for later use.  
Now that all the wedding madness is complete, I have turned my attention to the home.  I’ve got a lot of little ideas, and more free time than I’ve had in the last 6 months!  So this weekend I went for it and tackled a few projects. 

I knew what I wanted it to look like*, and threw it together fairly quickly.  Once I had it printed, I placed it in my craft room (disaster area, by the way- it’s wedding gift storage and you can’t even walk in there) thinking I didn’t have any frames for it- when tada!  A wild frame appeared.  It’s from the dollar store and it was buried in my closet.

Here’s another example of how I make things harder than they need to be: the print needed a border.  I didn’t want a white border, because I didn’t want white on white.  I would have preferred yellow.  The paper that came inside the frame showed a mock diploma surrounded by this marbled yellow border… so what did I do?  What anyone would do.  I cut out the middle of the stock frame paper and taped my art right in the middle.  It’s temporary, but it works for now.  I also wasn’t able to put it where I wanted it- on the shelves above our cabinets- because it is too tall.  And eventually I will either paint the frame white or get a new frame- with a real mat- but for now I think it’ll do just fine.

This was a free project for me.  We are trying to curb spending for the honeymoon (and for life, really) so any projects I do have to be super low cost or free with what I have at home.



MATERIALS:
Cardstock: Had it leftover from printing the wedding programs
Frame: Had it in a closet, but it came from the Dollar Tree and was $1
Artwork/Printer

Yep!  This was all made with materials I had laying around, so it didn’t cost me a thing!  My favorite kind of project.

*Apparently I saw this exact design back when I first discovered the quote and then “forgot” about it, because I thought I was sooooo clever when I was putting it together.  Until I did a google search after I printed to (to make sure I actually had the quote correct- I really don’t think things through) and then discovered the exact same design on someone’s blog.  Whoops.  You can buy it there for less than 5 bucks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment