Saturday, June 15, 2013

Preserving Your Wedding Flowers: Christmas Ornament


Here’s one of my post-wedding projects.  After the wedding, we came home with lots of flowers- my bouquet, four table centerpieces and the aisle decor.  I dried some of them, pressed some of them, and let the others sit in the pots to rot.  Whoops.
Well I was finally throwing all these dried up dead flowers away (three weeks after the wedding-don’t judge me, I thought I might need them for something and it turns out I WAS RIGHT) when I remembered something I pinned on Pinterest about a billion years ago.  Lucky me, I’m a craft hoarder, so I had clear glass Christmas bulbs just chilling in my closet.  Out came the bulb, off went the flowers’ heads, and just like that I have an awesome new ornament for the tree.

This thing is really a lot prettier in person.  The colors are awesome.  There’s an entire sunflower’s worth of petals in there (yellow), petals from the irises (blue), whole entire dried up daisies (purple), whole flowers from the snapdragons (pink/orange), and whole adorable little button mums (green).
I’m debating whether or not I want to write something on the glass- maybe the date or the year or something.  But I might just leave it as is and tie a little purple bow around the top.  Either way, I’m very pleased with it- another free project made with materials I already had laying around my house, and hopefully a keepsake that will stick around for many Christmases to come.

If you do this at home: consider spraying the flowers with a spray sealer.  I did this with the other flowers that I dried/pressed and saved, but I didn't do it with these.  I'm not sure that there will be any difference- maybe they will fall apart easier, maybe they will rot or something, or their colors will fade faster.  I'm not sure!  It's just something you want to consider.  I didn't think about it at all until after they were already in the bulb and there's no way to get them out in one piece.  The spray I used for my other flowers (keep an eye out for those in future projects) is a Krylon UV protective acrylic spray made for things like... dried flowers.  Just something to think about!  

No comments:

Post a Comment